Monday, March 24, 2014

Spring Into Action--Runs, Career Day, Ninjas, Pageants, Amity & Oceans

Thursday, March 20th, marked the first day of spring! I am so glad I live in Alabama. So much of the northern part of the country is still dealing with snow and cold temps. After the winter we've had, I will never complain about being hot again...until May.

Wednesday evening the sun finally came out--I went for a long run at Therapy Plus. It was a gorgeous evening to say the least. I've been trying out a theory that I'm beginning to really back: run intervals. For years now, I've been thinking I didn't need to stop at all and just run straight through, however long it may be. New studies say you'll burn more calories and increase stamina if you run in intervals or high intensity and then low intensity. I can tell a huge difference in my heart rate. It's also easier and more enjoyable that way. Here's a great article about how to get the most out of your running workout: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/3-Ways-to-Burn-Fat-Effectively-While-Running.htm?cmp=17-1-6397

And on a side note, I don't think I could enjoy running as much if I didn't have good music. What do you like to run to? Mine is a mix of worship, rock, and pop. Whatever moves you--stick with it.
Music + running = therapy    
Love it so much! Beautiful site to see the onset of Spring.
             
 On Thursday, I walked with my bestie, Karen. We got caught up on life. I hadn't seen her since we went to see the odd movie, Labor Day with Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin. We left feeling like we'd just watched a Lifetime movie. No offense to Lifetime movie lovers and if you are, well, go see Labor Day. I'm half on my soapbox when I say I don't get Hollywood's strategy of releasing films such as "Labor Day" when they're not remotely close to the actual holiday. Why do they release horror movies in February and not around Halloween? I know there is a logic behind it, and that is one of the many reasons I'll never understand the movie industry.
 
On Friday, I spoke to a group of 6th graders at Evan's Elementary for their Career Day. This was my first experience at a Career Day. They asked a lot of great questions about tourism in the county, which was great. 6th grade is a very impressionable grade and it's important that they be exposed to different career opportunities available here in the county. I wore my fishing jersey and talked about Bassmaster Classic and informed them exactly how big Lake Guntersville is, among other things. I also wanted to enlighten them and prepare them for the real world with this list but decided it might not be best. But oh wow is it true!?!
 Note to self: next time bring a small gift for each student. They made me the sweetest card:

After a nice brunch prepared by the faculty at Evan's, I went to see my sweet friend and hair stylist, Shellie Frazier for a trim. She always does the best job. Can't go into spring without a fresh cut, right?

 
 Saturday morning, I went for a walk/trail run with my chow, Simba. He loves being out on the trail below our house. It's like his own kingdom. He melts my heart with his sweet poses and expressions.
 

That face...I can't even...

  
 
The reason why I run/exercise: to eat or in this case, drink.
Meet my weekend breakfast of choice:
My kitchen turns into Smoothie King on the weekends, pun intended.



 

I make them with my Ninja, a Christmas gift from my parents. This thing can liquefy ice cubes and frozen fruit and chop in seconds. Tropical Isle Hurricane was the name of this one--strawberries, bananas, pineapple, juice, and some protein from yogurt. I think so.
Saturday night I got to help with the Ms. Senior Marshall County pageant at the Whole Backstage in Guntersville. So exciting to see these sweet ladies, ages 60+ share their talents, philosophies of life, and style. I wouldn't want to be a judge--tough decision.  Mrs. Renee Pierce from Boaz won! Having known her for a couple of years, I was thrilled she now has the title and represents our county at the State level. 
 
On Sunday, me and my friends Karen and Jessica went to see Divergent. After reading the book, I wasn't impressed but was determined the movie would be better. Rare that that's the case, but it was true here. I loved that this movie was clean, less violent than Hunger Games, had great music, and is actually inspirational in the way it portrays girls and the power within. Proud to see it was #1 at the box office this weekend.
Honestly, after hearing Shailene Woodley was cast as Tris, I was like:
 AND

My generation will cringe when they remember that horrible ABC Family series, The Secret Life of the American Teenager with her as the main character and how can we not forget Molly Ringwald playing her mom! Just didn't gel for me. At. All.
However, I will say she has really changed my opinion of her acting abilities in such films as The Spectacular Now and The Descendants. She was perfect for the role of Tris and I am so excited to see the other movies in the series.
Annnnnnnd British actor Theo James=HOTTIE! How cute are they together?!
 
Take the aptitude test here and see what you'd be classified as. I got Amity What about you???
 
Amity = peace, kind, giving, flower child
 
A good movie + sushi + catching up with friends = perfect way to end a weekend!
Regret not getting a picture..next time!
 
 
Finally, this has been my theme song lately:Oceans by Hillsong United
I love the lyrics and music. What this says to me while it's human nature not to trust things we can't always see and scary to go on a leap of faith to do things we know we are called to do, Jesus is wanting us to do just that to reach the plan He has for us. And once we do, we'll discover a part of ourselves and our faith that is stronger and more rewarding than we could have ever imagined on the shore. I can feel God preparing me for such and I want to be ready, brave, and in complete surrender.
 
 
 
How's everyone doing with Lent? 23 days left. Still no peanut butter. Craving/Want level: 4
 
I'm trying to get into the blog process...still haven't established a set day to post...just posting whenever and still not fully sold on my design template/fonts, etc. (All subject to change.)
Thanks for your patience and readership. I'm always open to comments, questions, suggestions, etc.
 
And Happy Spring Break to all you students & teachers! Be sure and think about the rest of us when you're chillin & relaxin all cool. Have a good week everybody!
Peace Out from faction Amity, ha

No comments:

Post a Comment